Citronella Essential Oil Properties (Cymbopogon winterianus)
A rich, fresh, citrus scent.
- 100% Pure, Concentrated, Undiluted
- Therapeutic Quality
- Steam Distilled from Leaves, Stems
- Country of Origin: India
Citronella Essential Oil Packaged
Amber glass bottle with Euro dropper. Tamper proof safety seal. Shrink wrapped.
Background Information on Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella essential oil is extracted from the finely chopped fresh or dried lemongrass by distillation. This perennial plant grows about 3 feet high and is a native of Sri Lanka and Java. It is of two varieties, the first one is the Ceylon variety, while the second one is the Java variety. However, the Citronella oil is extracted from both. The oil obtained from the Java variety is considered to be higher than the Ceylon because of the high concentration of geraniol and citronellal.
China and Indonesia are major producers of this oil. It is also produced by Brazil, Sri Lanka, Argentina, South Africa and other country, but in smaller quantities. Its repelling nature is excellent for body louse, head louse and stable flies. Its rich citrusy aroma drives away body odor.
Citronella Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
The diaphoretic properties of this essential oil increases sweating and promotes the removal of toxins and other unwanted materials like fat and excess water from the body. It is rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Citronella essential oil has a slightly sweet, powerful, and lemony scent. It smells delicious in soaps, perfumes, and deodorants. Citronella works wonders as a natural insect repellent. It may also help rid pets of fleas. Mixed with a carrier oil and rubbed on the skin, citronella will keep mosquitoes from biting.
Citronella essential oil is a natural cleaning agent, perfect for cleaning bathrooms and garbage cans, as it has a great deodorizing effect.
Citronella oil helps the body dispose of waste substances and toxins including uric acid, excess bile, acids and fat.* It is reported to have antifungal properties. This oil softens the skin and combats oily skin and sweaty feet.* Citronella is also known for its tonic effect on the body as it helps stave away colds, flu, and minor infections.
See our references at the bottom of this page for additional information.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.
Citronella Essential Oil Uses and Benefits / Blends & Suggestions
- Insect repellent: pour a 2-3 drops on palm and rub evenly on the body.
- Refreshing bath: pour 2-3 drops in warm bath water to have a refreshing body odor ending bath
- Oily skin: pour 2-3 drops on palm and rub evenly all over the body.
- To induce a soothing and happy feeling, pour citronella essential oil in a handkerchief and inhale.
Citronella Essential Oil Safety Tips
- Do not use while pregnant or nursing.
- Avoid if you have cancer.
- May have interactions with drugs metabolized by CYP2B6.
- For external use only. See our Safety Information page for further details when using essential oils.