Anise (Star) Essential Oil Properties (Illicium verum)
Spicy, warm, licorice-like aroma.
- 100% Pure, Concentrated, Undiluted
- Therapeutic Quality
- Steam Distilled from Seeds
- Country of Origin: China
Anise (Star) Essential Oil Packaged
Amber glass bottle with Euro dropper. Tamper proof safety seal. Shrink wrapped.
Background Information on Anise (Star)
Star anise is an evergreen tree native to Asis which grows up to 35 feet in height. The fruits can be eaten fresh or dried. The leaves are poisonous. Traditional Chinese medicine has used star anise plant for centuries for a variety of ailments. In folk remedy, star anise has been used for constipation, breath freshening, joint aches, muscle spasms, sleep and toothaches. In Asia, anise is chewed after meals as it is thought to promote good digestion and sweeten the breath. It is an ingredient in cough medicines and cough drops in Japan.
Anise (Star) Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
Documented properties in aromatherapy for anise star essential oil include analgesic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, aperitive, aphrodisiac, calmative, cardiac, carminative, digestive, disinfectant, diuretic (mild), estrogenic, expectorant, insecticide, stimulant (circulatory and digestive system; respiratory tract), stomachic, tonic, warming.
Anise star essential oil is used in aromatherapy to promote peaceful sleep, relieve digestion and intestinal issues, eases breathing, and is a natural remedy for PMS symptoms.* It has practical uses to soothe intestines and reduce flatulence.*
Anise star essential oil is used by fishermen and hunters to mask human scent.
See our references at the bottom of this page for additional information.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.
Anise (Star) Essential Oil Uses and Benefits / Suggestions & Blends
Dilute with a carrier oil for direct skin contact.
In subtle quantities, it is a wonderful addition to blends, especially with citrus oil blends or as an underpinning to a vanilla blend.
Anise (Star) Essential Oil Safety Information
- Avoid if you have cancer.
- If you have sensitive skin, you dilute the oil with a touch more carrier oil before applying.
- Anise can slow down the reflexes. You should avoid anything that requires full attention.
- Potentially carcinogenic, based on estragole and safrole content. May cause reproductive hormone modulation and may inhibit blood clotting.
- Do not use if pregnant, breastfeeding, have endometriosis, have an estrogen-dependent cancer(s).
- Do not use on children under the age of five, the elderly, people with genetic susceptibility to cancer, people with a family history of cancer, those who have occupational exposure to carcinogens, smokers, or heavy drinkers.
- For external use only. See our Safety Information page for further details when using essential oils.
Anise (Star) Pure Essential Oil Reviews
“This company has hard-to-find essential oils. I’ll be back.” – L. Michalopoulos
“Very nice will buy again.” – M. Causey
“Strong. I really like.” – B. Raure