Essential oils can give emotional support during withdrawal of many types of addiction. Addiction includes things like drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceuticals. But it’s possible to be addicted to less threatening substances, like pop, sugar, candy, food. There are also addictive activities, like pornography, gambling, or other bad habits that people develop a dependency upon. This dependency can lead to health issues, guilt, anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms of headaches, nausea, sickness, cravings, anger, and more.
Essential oils can be very useful and help reduce many of the negative symptoms of withdrawal, as well as assist in letting go of the addiction. See below for specific essential oils to use depending upon your addiction.*
If you’re looking for an essential oil good for many addictions, Basil and Grapefruit are two of the most universal for emotional support and cravings. You can inhale with a diffuser or inhaler or dilute with a carrier oil and use topically.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.
Essential Oils for Addictions / Emotional Support
- Alcohol: Rosemary, Basil, Frankincense, and Chamomile Essential Oils
- Anxiety: Ylang Ylang and Lavender Essential Oils
- Caffeine: Basil and Grapefruit Essential Oils
- Cravings: Grapefruit, Clove, Cilantro (Coriander), Cinnamon, and Peppermint Essential Oils
- Drugs: Grapefruit, Chamomile, and Basil (for marijuana) Essential Oils
- Eating Disorders: Grapefruit, Bergamot, and Cinnamon Essential Oils
- Food: Grapefruit and Basil Essential Oils
- Porn: Frankincense Essential Oil
- Sex: Geranium and Sandalwood Essential Oils
- Sugar: Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Tobacco: Clove, Basil, Black Pepper Essential Oils
- Withdrawal Symptoms: Marjoram, Sandalwood, Orange, Grapefruit, Lavender, and other citrus essential oils
- Work Addiction: Basil, Ylang Ylang, Orange, and Lavender Essential Oils